Information Security Alerts
Check below for more information on recent security alerts and scams.
- Fake Online Loan Company Scam (Nov 2019)
Fake online loan companies target consumers.
This type of scam occurs when an individual applies for a loan online with a company they believe is legitimate. The company (scammer) tells the individual that they will remotely verify their account with a deposit but first they need the person’s online banking credentials (username, password, etc.). Once provided, the scammer uses mobile deposit capture to deposit a fraudulent check. There could be variations to this scam, but we assume the scammer then asks the customer to return some of the funds or uses the individual’s credentials for malicious purposes.
Please remember: Never give your username and/or password to any company or unknown person.
If you believe you have been affected by this type of scam, please contact the Mechanics Bank Information Security Department at 419-524-0831.
Are You Getting Scammed?
Are you cashing or depositing a check for any of these reasons:
- Someone is requesting you send a portion of the money back?
- Something of which you had no previous knowledge (e.g., winning a lottery you never entered, proceeds from a loan you don’t remember)?
- Work-at-home program?
Have you been asked to:
- Return some of the check proceeds (including wire transfers, money orders, gift cards, etc.)?
- Provide online banking login credentials?
- Wire, Western Union, or Money Gram some of the funds to someone?
- Send money overseas?
- Change wire instructions at the last minute?
- Pay money to receive an inheritance?
- Withdraw a large sum of money by someone you don’t know, for any reason?
Have you responded to an email requesting you to:
- Confirm, update, or provide your account information?
If you answered “YES” to any of the above, you may be getting scammed and we may be able to help. Talk to a Mechanics Bank employee today.
For more information, please contact the Mechanics Bank Information Security Department at 419-524-0831.